Albania to Montenegro

26th / 27th September 2015

The day after Grammos dog drama day, I crossed Albania by bus.

It felt like a Samuel Beckett play, waiting at the desolate taxi area for the Korçë bus to leave.

Ubiquitous beaten up old Mercedes taxis at Erseke 
I have no photos of Korçë.  It was too much of a chaotic mad scramble to find the next bus, and get straight out of the place.  The next stop was Pogradec on the shores of Lake Ohrid, which was grim, so I caught the first bus out of town in the direction of Tirana.

Lake Ohrid, Pogradec
The Tirana bus was slightly more comfortable, and on generally better roads.  I grabbed some lunch in Tirana, then wandered down to the bus stand for Shkodra.  However, this bus was uncomfortably warm with no air conditioning.

Tirana, Sanderbeg Square

Shkodra, Rruga Kolë Idromeno
At Shkodra, the Wanderers Hostel was closed, but I found the ARKA Hostel just across the street.

I dumped my stuff in the room, sat at the bar, and switched my phone on for moment.

It immediately started ringing.

I answered, and it was a voice I recognise:

"Where are my dogs?"

Oh no...

"What is name of hotel in Albania?"

I try to explain, I'm not in Erseke, and I have no idea what the hotel was called.
Needless to say, the dogs have not returned.
We decide they will be back soon.
I turn my phone off.

The next day I take a taxi to Ulcinj in Montenegro, where it's raining.

I go to Ada Bojana for a few days to escape to the beach.

I hear nothing about the dogs again.

Ada Bojana

Ada Bojana

No comments:

Post a Comment